Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sticks and Stones

We have been living in our townhouse for almost 2 years now and I have not decorated AT ALL. Not a single picture on the wall or anything... And now that we are getting ready to move in 10 months, I feel the need to at least decorate outside our front door!

The latest issue of Disney's Family Fun magazine gave me the inspiration to do a little outdoor decorating!  Pebble Plaques and Rocky the Hedgehog...

The first step in this mission, was a trip to a local nature center where I took the boys on a mini hike on the trials to collect pebbles, pine cones, and pine needles.




Once we got home, we washed and dried the pebbles.


While we waited for the pebbles to dry, we worked on our hedgehog.



I fell in love with the picture of "Rocky the Hedgehog" in the magazine. It looked pretty easy to accomplish, but well... that assumption was wrong!


Holden had fun with the glue while I attempted to assemble our hedgehog!


And, well this is how our hedgehog turned out... I'm not super happy about it, but it's the best I could do!


After my slightly failed hedgehog attempt, we made some simple salt dough. Holden was really excited to help, but Aiden who has done so many crafts with me over the years, wasn't very interested.



We separated the salt dough into three balls, and I let Holden smash them into flat plaques.


I then set the pebbles that we collected from our hike on the table along with some pretty stones that I had kept from my 7th grade field trip to a gem mine (yes, I'm a total dork. I admit it. I have a rock collection!) and let the boys decorate their plaques.


Aiden was coerced into participating in this step.


Really, mommy, another picture?!



Our decorated plaques ready for the oven.



 Once the plaques were finished baking, I let Holden help me add the decoupage.


 Of course, he thoroughly enjoyed this part! I'm not sure what it is with kids and glue...


And FINALLY, our completed projects sitting outside our front door! The hedgehog looks a lot better sitting outside, I think!


This was a fun and multi-day process and the boys really like seeing their art whenever we go out the door. Every time Holden sees the decorations, he says, "Awwww... that's so cute!" And makes me smile every time! I think we will try doing more art work like this in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment